Compliance Lawyer Specialising in Life Insurance needed for an exciting global brand who has launched their Sydney Operations
New business in the retirement income space, looking for a qualified lawyer with legal and compliance experience. The role will involve working closely with the Risk, Compliance and Company Secretary team more generally and will involve significant interaction with our senior management team. The role reports jointly to our General Counsel and our Head of Compliance.
As this role has a dual reporting line, we envisage the role focus and time would be split equally between legal and compliance work.
The role will work closely with the Product and Distribution teams as new product disclosure documents and marketing materials are developed to ensure the business meets its legal, compliance and regulatory obligations during a period of rapid growth.
The Senior Legal and Compliance Adviser will also need to work closely with the Australia legal and compliance functions to ensure consistency with group standards and an aligned approach to areas of common interest. The role will also work closely with external legal counsel to advise on specialist areas and to supplement internal resources. The candidate will need to be able to appropriately prioritise matters and to identify matters of higher risk requiring external expert support.
Be key support to our General Counsel, including:
- Providing legal advice and research in relation to new product development.
- Legal review of product disclosure documentation and product marketing collateral.
- Assisting with the management of product due diligence committee processes.
- Providing legal advice and contract review for distribution arrangements.
- Providing legal advice and contract review for derivative arrangements (eg ISDAs, credit support annexes etc).
- Varied in-house legal work including assisting Finance with treasury arrangements, and Procurement with general contact review (eg IT contracts, and related and third party outsourcing arrangements).
Be a key support to our Head of Compliance, including:
- Development of the compliance framework including drafting of compliance plans, policies and procedures to ensure that the compliance plans, policies and procedures not only meet Australian regulatory requirements
- Provide Compliance sign-off on PDS' website content and other marketing material, including managing the Document Compliance Sign-off process.
- Development and execution of risk and compliance monitoring activities, including detailed risk & compliance reviews of retirement incomes and risk insurance businesses.
- Working with the first line of defence to understand current and emerging compliance and governance risks and to advise and support the business as a trusted adviser to build appropriate mitigation responses to identified risks.
- Managing the incident and breach process, including liaising with key management stakeholders, drafting of internal incident reports, conducting incident meetings and preparing breach reports for lodgement with regulators.
- Managing specific compliance and regulatory projects, for instance risk culture, customer advocacy and other topical matters, and to assist the risk function to respond in an agile manner to changing regulatory and customer expectations.
- Developing strong relationships with management and key internal and external stakeholders to support the business expansion, including striking a balance between commercial pragmatism and risk overlay.
- Preparing compliance reporting for senior management, committees and board.
To be successful in this role, you will possess:
- Australian legal qualification with 5-10 years' experience in legal and compliance within financial services
- Life insurance and/or wealth management industry experience whether in private practice or an in-house legal team
- Good working knowledge of ASIC and APRA regulatory policy, general corporate law and statutory funds is desirable
- A flexible, can-do attitude as well as a solutions-focussed approach
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.