At Morgan McKinley we work with some of the most talented business analysts in the market. We asked some of them what their one piece of advice they would give themselves starting their BA career.
Here are their top 6 tips:
2. Listen patiently to your stakeholder and don’t interrupt them. If you find that your stakeholder is taking you off point, nicely bring their focus back to the topic
3. Make sure your meetings ROCK. Have a very clear agenda, a very specific outcome and make sure you achieve the outcome at the end of the meeting
4. Talk less (just to the point) and learn from everyone around you.
5. When you need help, don’t jump to someone with just the problem. Try to approach them with solutions/options. It shows that you’ve thought about it and it also forms a basis from which you can further discuss the problem and build upon to come to a better solution.
6. You are (generally) the conduit between the business and the tech teams – try and get a lot of experience/exposure to these teams. If you have the technical capability, join a project team and experience the technical implementation of a couple of projects. If you have business acumen, join a business project/product team and do the same. Once you have experienced what it is like on either of those sides, your ability to add value as a BA grows immensely because you can not only elicit and understand the requirements, but you will be able to suggest better solutions for your business and technology teams (e.g. faster analysis of the viability of options, interpretation of what the business actually require vs what they have asked for etc.)
If you're considering changing positions or feel you are not fully using your skills in your current role, have a look through our current Business Analysts job openings. If you feel you are already skilled enough, you might want to check out if you're getting paid enough.
Looking for your next career move?