Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of questions that we are asked from time to time. If your question is not answered here, please contact your Morgan McKinley Consultant.

When do I get paid?

Contractors are paid weekly a week in lieu.  As a contractor you can be paid PAYG (Pay As You Go), via a Third Party Company, or via your own Limited Company on an hourly or daily basis.  If you are employed on a fixed term contract, it is most likely you will be paid a monthly pro-rata salary, direct from our client.

What do I do when my assignment ends?

When the client confirms the finish date of your assignment let your consultant know as soon as possible.  In addition please advise us of any change in your assignment details (e.g. change of supervisor / department).

Why do I get taxed at a higher rate if I submit multiple timesheets?

Our payroll system at Morgan McKinley runs on a weekly tax cycle. When we receive multiple timesheets they are subject to a higher tax bracket.  This tax can be claimed back when you complete your annual tax return.

What are the contact details for Morgan McKinley contractor support or payroll?

Joanne Fletcher, Senior Contract Administrator –  0289863106

How much superannuation am I entitled to?

If you are contracting under a PAYG or employment arrangement, your superannuation payment will be equal to 9.5% of your base pay rate.

Am I entitled to paid holiday leave?

Morgan McKinley employs the majority of contractors/temporaries as casual employees. As a casual employee you are not entitled to paid annual leave.

Am I entitled to paid sick leave?

Morgan McKinley employs the majority of contractors/temporaries as casual employees. As a casual employee you are not entitled to paid sick leave.

Am I entitled to any other type of paid leave?

Generally you will not be eligible for any form of paid leave.  However, in some circumstances you may be eligible for unpaid leave. Please contact your recruitment consultant to confirm if you may be eligible.

Will I need a visa to work in Australia?

It’s vital you have the right visa to work in Australia. Visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for more information on this.

My visa has expired, what can I do?

You need to think about what you want to do well in advance of your visa expiring as once this has happened you are no longer eligible to work in Australia.  Please contact your recruitment consultant immediately if your visa has expired or is due to expire in the near future.

I am on a 417 Visa – how long can I work for one (1) client?

On a 417 Visa you are able to work for a maximum of 6 months for each client.

How do I report a workplace injury or hazard?

All work-related injuries and incidents, no matter how minor, must be reported to both Morgan McKinley and your supervisor as soon as possible.
A hazard is any source of harm or potential harm to a person or to property/equipment. Should you identify a hazard in your workplace which you are unable to safely resolve yourself report it to your supervisor.
If you are dissatisfied with the steps taken by your supervisor to address the hazard, you must escalate this issue to your Morgan McKinley Consultant.

I contract through my own company, do I need to provide anything specific?

You need to provide us with the following documentation:

  • Evidence of Incorporation/Partnership/Trust Deed
  • Certificates of currency for insurance (e.g. workers’ compensation, professional indemnity and public liability)
Please note that Morgan McKinley only engages candidates as independent Contractors through a company, trust or partnership and does not engage Sole Traders.

How long will my assignment last?

The length of your assignment will be agreed between your Morgan McKinley Consultant and the employer before you start.  It is common for assignments to be continually extended depending on the type of work you are doing.  Don't be put off by an initial short-term role, it could last much longer!

Do I need a Tax File Number and how do I get one?

Everyone working in Australia needs a Tax File Number (TFN). This must be supplied to your employer, bank and superannuation fund.  Go to 'Getting a tax file number' on the ATO website : to find out how.

When can I get my Tax Group Certificate?

You lodge a tax return each year to tell the "ATO" Australian Taxation Office" your annual income so they can work out how much tax is payable. Tax returns cover the financial year, which ends on 30 June. The ATO use the information you provide to work out the amount of your tax refund or tax debt. If you've paid too much tax and are entitled to a refund, lodging a tax return is the way you get this money back. You can prepare and lodge your tax return online using My Tax, by mailing a paper return or by using a registered tax agent. You will be issued a “Tax Group Certificate” from us via email by 14 July.

Contact your local Morgan McKinley office if you have any other questions about temporary or contract work.